Six Flags Announces July 3 Opening Date
UPPER MARLBORO, MD — June 26, 2020 — Six Flags America, DC’s Thrill Capital, today announced plans to open the theme park on July 3, 2020. In accordance with CDC, state, and local reopening guidelines, the park will operate at reduced attendance levels and in preview mode from July 1-2 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. During this preview phase, the park will only be open to Members and Season Pass Holders. The park will then open to all guests on July 3 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and gradually increase attendance levels over the next month. Hurricane Harbor will open at a later date. The park is implementing extensive new safety measures and hygiene protocols, including several new advanced technology systems to protect guests and employees. These procedures will be adjusted on an as-needed basis to ensure compliance with state and local recommendations.
“The health and safety of our guests and team members remains our number one priority, and we are very excited to open and welcome our guests back to Six Flags America,” said Park President Rick Howarth. “The new safety measures we have in place are designed to create an environment where our guests can have fun with family and friends and feel safe while doing so. We appreciate the state and local officials, including the county health department, for their support of our efforts to reopen. We also thank our valued Members and Season Pass Holders for their loyalty. We are ready to get the summer started.”
The park will employ a sophisticated online reservation system to manage attendance, schedule guests for entry by day, and stagger arrival times to minimize proximity exposure. Other new technologies include:
• State-of-the-art thermal imaging for temperature checks;
• Advanced security screening technology for touchless bag checks; and
• Expanded mobile food ordering.
The park’s opening plan, which the company developed with its epidemiologist consultants, meets or exceeds federal, state, and local guidelines. It sets standards for executing at the highest levels of hygiene and social distancing protocols.
“We have developed a comprehensive opening safety plan that includes protocols designed by theme park and waterpark industry experts, along with best practices from top destination parks from around the world, which will allow guests to experience our parks in the safest way possible. This ’new normal’ will be different in some ways, but we believe these additional measures are appropriate in the current environment,” said Six Flags President and CEO Mike Spanos.
Opening plans include:
Health Screenings for Guests and Team Members
• Contact-less IR thermal imaging will be used to screen temperatures of guests and employees prior to entry; and individuals will be asked if they are healthy and will be required to acknowledge the company’s health policies;
• All guests over the age of two and all team members will be required to wear face masks covering the nose and mouth throughout their visit/work day. Accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis for persons with disabilities, health concerns, religious restrictions, or other circumstances that in Six Flags’ discretion warrant a modification of this face mask requirement; and
• Any guest without a mask will be able to purchase one at the front gate.
Strictly Enforced Social Distancing
• Easy to identify distance markers will be added in all park entry, ride, restroom, retail locations, and dining queue lines;
• Dining areas will be adjusted to allow ample space between seated parties;
• Guests will be separated by empty rows and/or seats on all roller coasters, rides, and attractions;
• Six-foot viewing areas will be marked for guests to observe game play; arcade games will be reconfigured or deactivated to comply with social distancing requirements;
• Advanced security screenings will enable touchless bag checks;
• Capacity at indoor venues will be reduced to meet social distancing requirements; and
• Guests viewing outdoor entertainment will be separated by at least six feet.
Extensive Sanitization and Disinfecting Protocols
• Trained and dedicated cleaning teams have been put in place;
• Increased sanitization and disinfecting of high touch points including all public seating, tabletops, counters, doors, and trash cans will occur frequently;
• Rides, restraints, and handrails will be cleaned throughout the day;
• Restroom staff will be stationed to disinfect each stall and sink area on a frequent basis;
• Multiple hand-washing and alcohol-based hand-sanitizer stations will be located throughout the park; and
• All team member work areas will be regularly sanitized and disinfected.
Sanitized Food Preparation and Service
• Modified menus and implementation of mobile food ordering will help facilitate touchless transactions;
• Self-service buffets will be reconfigured to eliminate guest contact with food;
• Condiments, self-serve cutlery, and napkins will be provided to guests with their meals as required; and
• Beverages will be served by attendants, and guests will receive any drink bottle refills in a paper cup each time they refill.
Commercial-Grade Cleaning Equipment and Supplies
• All employees will be issued Team Member Action Packs which will include: a safety face mask, safety glasses, and disposable gloves;
• Abundant supplies of sanitizers and disinfectants will be available;
• Microfiber cloths will be used to sanitize surfaces; and
• Queue line supplies, fencing, and tents will be in place to promote safe social distancing.
Multi-Layered Guest and Team Member Communication
• Frontline team members will go through extensive COVID-19 training;
• Safety messaging and reminders on Six Flags’ website, newsletters, in-park announcements, and recorded phone messages will occur frequently;
• Distance markers and physical distance indicators will be in place; and
• Informational safety signage is posted throughout the park.
Park Reservations System to Manage Attendance
Six Flags will establish attendance caps that will be well below the park’s theoretical capacity in order to allow for proper social distancing. All Members, Season Pass holders and all guests with a single-day or group ticket will need to make a reservation at www.sixflags.com/reserve. Guests who need single day tickets will be able to reserve during the purchase process. The process will take 5-7 minutes, and guests will complete the following steps:
• Enter their online order number, ticket number or Membership/Season Pass number;
• Select the day and the approximate time they want to visit;
• Order pre-paid parking, if they do not already have a parking pass; and
• Watch a brief video describing new social distancing and sanitization procedures.
Guests may begin making reservations as follows:
• All un-paused Diamond & Diamond Elite Members | Friday, June 26 at 10:00 am;
• All un-paused Members | Friday, June 26 at 3:00 p.m.;
• All un-paused Members & Pass Holders (including Thrill Pass Holders) | Friday, June 26 at 7:00 p.m.; and
• All un-paused Members, Pass Holders (including Thrill Pass Holders) & Daily Ticket Holders (including Group Ticket Holders) | Saturday, June 27 at 9:00 a.m.
Guests will be contacted electronically (either by email, text or both) the day before their scheduled visit to confirm their intent to visit. All Members and Season Pass Holders will receive booking priority over single-day and group ticket buyers.
The Six Flags brand is synonymous with family fun and thrills for all ages. These significant new changes are designed to improve the overall park experience while keeping guests and employees safe.
Six Flags Season Passes and Memberships are currently on sale. Members can enjoy priority park entry and tremendous discounts of up to 50% on nearly all food and merchandise all season long. Gold Plus, Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Elite levels are available featuring all the perks of a Season Pass plus other benefits including admission to all Six Flags branded theme and waterparks, preferred parking, and points that can be redeemed for free food, merchandise, and special experiences. Visit the Membership Sales Center or go online to sixflags.com for more information and to sign up today.